Fall is in the air. The mornings are chilly, the leaves are golden, and I have a pot of hearty cauliflower soup on the stove. As the days get shorter and the weather changes, so do our bodies. We begin to crave warm comforting foods. Our sleep patterns might change. And if you are like me, your summer skin could use some extra love.
First, here are a few health and wellness tips that can really help your skin look it's best:
- Drink up. There are so many reasons to stay hydrated, and keeping your skin healthy is one of them. Drinking water is one of the best ways to detox the body and give your skin a radiant, healthy glow.
- Sweat. Moving your body everyday is paramount to staying healthy, and getting sweaty is a great way to cleanse your skin of impurities. Fall is a great time of year to get really sweaty in a hot yoga class.
- Get your zzz’s. It's one thing to "look tired" after a late night, but a chronic lack of sleep really takes a toll on the integrity of the skin, from reducing collagen to inflaming the skin from the inside out (which not only prematurely ages the skin, but also triggers pesky skin issues like acne and eczema).
- Eat well. The foods choices you make impact the health of your skin as much as they impact your health and well- being. Here are some important nutrition tips for healthy skin:
- Notice how certain foods make you feel. Good or bad? Consider eliminating foods like sugar, gluten and dairy from your diet if you are sensitive or intolerant.
- Include plenty of healthy fats: nuts, seeds, avocado, fish and healthy oils like extra virgin olive oil. Fats help to keep your skin moisturized and your cells healthy. More on healthy fats.
- Increase your intake of colorful fruits and veggies. The powerful antioxidants found in these foods fight free radicals that can cause premature aging.
- As always, avoid processed foods and refined sugar.
And now the fun part! Here are my favorite beauty products for taking the best care of your skin this fall:
- Beauty Counter Sugar Body Scrub – Polish your skin to a healthy-looking glow with Sugar Body Scrub, made with brown sugar to buff away dull skin, and mineral-rich evening primrose, sweet almond, apricot kernel, and sunflower oils to leave skin looking supple and smooth.
- Body Oil in Citrus Rosemary – Instantly absorbed and intensely moisturizing, this nourishing blend of 13 botanical oils leaves skin smooth, silky, and luminous, while hints of grapefruit, sweet orange, and rosemary create a beautifully complex yet subtle scent.
- Balancing Face Oil – My all time favorite product. I use this oil morning and evening as my moisturizer, and my skin has never looked so "glowy". This plant based and toxin-free oil sinks deeply into the skin, leaving the skin feeling soft and never oily.