This is my families favorite pasta dish: Creamy, thick, and rich with lots of garlic flavor and a hint of lemon. The avocado works perfectly in this recipe to create a sauce so creamy and thick you will think there is cream hiding in there.
Serve this avocado sauce with spiralized zucchini or on a bed of spaghetti squash for a grain free dish
Recipe Inspiration from one of my favorite Vegan cookbooks: Oh She Glows
- 9 ounces uncooked pasta, spiralized zucchini, or spaghetti squash
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon zest, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. For grain freeoption, serve the avocado sauce with zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
2. In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil to chop. Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado, and 1 tablespoon water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add all of the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
Top with pepper, lemon zest, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.