For an easy and absolutely delicious lunch, you just can’t go wrong with this creamy (BUT VEGAN!) cauliflower soup.
Cauliflower is so nutritious! It is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese. And guess what? Cauliflower is also a good source of protein.
Cauliflower & Leek Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green part only, chopped. (chop first and wash well, they are dirty inside!)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into 2 inch florets
- 4 cups vegetable stock (more if needed)
- 3 cups water (more if needed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper, more or less to taste
- Garnish with chopped chives, parsley and almonds
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, celery, and a pinch of salt and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for another minute, stirring. (be careful not to burn the garlic or the soup will be bitter.) Add the stock, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the bay leaf, then bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and turn the heat to medium; simmer 30 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Discard the bay leaf. Puree the soup in small batches in a high-speed blender (I use a vita-mix) until very smooth. Add the pureed soup back to the pot and stir in 1/2 to 1 cup more stock or water (if needed)
Garish with fresh chopped chives and parsley. Chopped almonds are also a great addition!