Here are 5 very easy natural beauty swaps that you can make today.
I consider these to be the most important swaps to start with because of the surface area that these products cover on the body and the frequency of use!
1. Body Wash: Commercial body wash often contain parabens and fragrances that are known allergens and endocrine disruptors.
- I LOVE Dr. Bronner’s all-purpose pure castile soap.
2. Body Lotion: Watch out for parabens, fragrances, dyes in the ingredients.
- NOW Solution's Apricot OIl
- NOW Solution's Sesame oil
- Beautycounter’s Citrus Mimosa Body Lotion
3. Deodorant: Contain aluminum, triclosan and other harmful ingredients.I finally found 2 natural deodorants that work for me.
4. Toothpaste: Make sure your toothpaste does not contain Triclosan. I also choose to go with a fluoride free toothpaste. All of these products can be purchased at Amazon.
- Redmond Earthpaste
- Tom’s Toothpaste
5 Sunscreen: Watch out for the ingredient oxybenzone.
- All Over Sunscreen by Beautycounter
Here are my Beautycounter skincare recommendations by skin type
I have been a Beautycounter consultant for some time now and it is a brand that I love and trust. I really appreciate the fact that the company not only offers safe and high performing products, but is also working hard to educate consumers and pass legislature that will better regulate the beauty industry.
So how do you know which of these safer, highly effective products are right for you? Here are my recommendations, including my own skincare routine:
I live in a VERY dry climate so this is my personal skincare regimen.
- Cleansing Balm (This is an oil-based face wash and a fantastic skin cream that can be left on overnight or used under your makeup in the morning. Hands down, this is the best product for dry skin)
- Nourishing Cream Exfoliator (gentle but super effective exfoliator remove dry skin)
- Rejuvenating Night Cream (lightweight, but moisturizing)
- Plumping Face Oil #2– Jasmine, is recommended for dry and mature skin
Oily skin is often a symptom of chronically dry skin. As mom to a teenager, I can attest to this winning combo:
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar and Nourishing Cream Cleanser, rotate throughout the week
- Balancing Charcoal Mask
- Balancing Face Oil #3 which pairs nicely with the charcoal products (which are naturally drying). Face oils work wonders on acne-prone skin, trust me on this one!
- Rose Water Mist (non-drying)
The Countertime Rejuvenating line is best for mature skin, actively working to reduce dark circles, fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots. I particularly enjoy the Rejuvenating Night Cream, Eye Cream and Cleansing Balm. I would also recommend the Plumping Face Oil # 2 with Jasmine for mature skin
The Nourishing Face Collection is best for those with sensitive skin. The Nourishing Day Cream, Night Cream and Eye Cream are all formulated without any fragrance and the Cream Cleanser is particularly gentle. For sensitive skin, I would also recommend the Brightening Face OIl # 1
Face Oils to use for your skin type
Use A face oil morning and night as you moisturizer, or add a few drops to your cream moisturizer.
- Brightening Face Oil #1 – Calendula, is recommended for sensitive skin
- Plumping Face Oil #2 – Jasmine, is recommended for dry and mature skin
- Balancing Face Oil #3 – Ylang-Ylang and Chamomile, is recommended for active/oily skin
You can check the safety of the products that you use on a daily basis on the Environmental Working Group ( EWG) Skin Deep Database to see how they rate for things like hormone disruption and toxicity. (low numbers are best)