What to eat before and after a workout – this is a question that I get asked a lot!
Good pre and post workout nutrition is key for optimal performance during exercise and for providing your body with the fuel to repair and strengthen muscles after a workout. Proper nutrition also ensures that you are getting in all of the essential nutrients that your body needs for overall health, energy and injury prevention.
Your pre workout snack should provide:
- Carbs: energy from carbohydrates so you don’t run out of steam
- Satiety: so you aren’t starving mid workout
- Digestibility: easy digestibility so nothing lingers in your stomach and causes problems
- H2O: hydration to keep your muscles, joints and cells working optimally
For Intense workouts, your post workout snack should provide:
- H2O: water is very important for your overall energy and maintaining electrolyte balance
- Protein: helps to restore your hard worked muscle tissue
- Carbs: help to replete glycogen losses, and the energy you store in your muscles
My Favorite Pre Workout Snacks
- 1 slice whole grain toast, ½ a small avocado mashed & sprinkle of salt
- In the blender: 1 cup coconut water with 2 tablespoons cacao powder 2 tablespoons hemp seeds and a small banana.
- Chia pudding: combine 1 ½ cups almond milk + mixed with 5 tablespoons chia seeds and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Serve with a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut and berries
- Take 1 cup mixed fruits (oranges, grapefruit, berries, melon or whatever is fresh and in season) and top with 1 tablespoons ground flax seeds.
- Oatmeal, topped with berries
My Favorite Post Workout Snacks
- 4 ounces full fat plain coconut yogurt or cottage cheese, berries, sprinkle of walnuts
- Protein drink or green smoothie
- Trail mix with almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon dried unsweetened coconut, a tablespoon of raisins
- 1 slice whole grain toast, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 boiled egg, deli turkey, or 1 tablespoon hummus
- Lettuce turkey wrap. Sliced deli turkey wrapped in butter lettuce.
Want to lose weight, get healthy, and have more energy? Sign up for my newsletter and get weekly tips, tricks, and support from me!