This is a hearty vegan stew that’s easy and quick to make for a weeknight dinner. My family likes it spicy, so I added a pinch of red chili flakes to the coconut oil to simmer with the onions.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- pinch or red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 13 1/2 ounces (1 small can) coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 15 ounces chick peas, drained and rinsed. (white beans also work well here)
- Can be served as a stew or over rice
1. Heat coconut oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until it melts.
2. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and ginger then continue stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, and curry powder and continue stirring for 10 minutes or until the potatoes begin to soften.
3. Add the coconut milk, kale, and chickpeas or beans to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and completely cooked through.