Why I love these.......
Sweet potatoes are a nutritionally-sweet deal! These tasty potatoes are higher in fiber, beta-carotene, and vitamin C than white potatoes, and they’re a great source of healthy carbohydrates. Adding cinnamon and nutmeg makes these latkes super tasty, and provides an antioxidant boost!
- 1-2 scallions, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and grated on the large holes of a grater or food processor
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and grated.
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Sour cream and applesauce, for serving
In a large bowl combine scallions and eggs. Add flour, salt, ginger, cardamom, and pepper, and stir. Add potatoes, and toss until combined and evenly coated.
Fill a large skillet with about 1/2 inch oil. Place over medium heat until oil is almost smoking. (To test, drop a small bit of batter into the skillet; it should sizzle upon contact.)
Working in batches, spoon about 2 tablespoons batter into oil for each latke. Lightly tamp down to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden on each side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a paper-towel-lined wire rack to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with sour cream and applesauce.
Recipe inspiration from Martha Stewart.