Clients ask me all the time...."What should I eat before and after I workout?" Whether you are hitting the gym, going for a run, or getting out on the trails, there are certain things you want to keep in mind when choosing the right snacks.
Your pre workout snack should offer you a few things:
- Carbs: energy from carbohydrates so you don’t run out of steam
- Satiety: so you aren’t starving mid workout
- Digestibility: easy digestibility so nothing lingers in your stomach and weighs you down
- H2O: hydration to keep you from feeling sluggish
If your workouts are intense, your post workout snack should offer:
- H2O: water is very important for your overall energy, maintaining electrolyte balance and restoring losses from the great sweat you worked up.
- Protein: helps to restore hard worked muscle tissue
- Carbs: help to replete glycogen losses, and the energy you store in your muscles
My 5 favorite Pre Workout Snacks
- 1 slice Ezekiel toast, ½ a small avocado & sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup iced coffee blended with 2 tablespoons cacao powder 2 tablespoons hemp seeds and a small banana
- Chia pudding (combine 1 ½ cups coconut milk (from a carton,) mixed with 5 tablespoons chia seeds and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight, makes 4 servings) top with a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut and raspberries
- Take 1 cup fruit salad (oranges, grapefruit, berries, melon or whatever looks the best and freshest) and top with 1 tablespoons ground flax seeds.
- Oatmeal, topped with berries
My 5 favorite Post Workout Snacks
- 4 oounces full fat plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, berries, sprinkle of walnuts
- Protein Drink
- Trail mix with almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon dried unsweetened coconut, a tablespoon of raisins
- 1 slice Ezekiel toast, 1 tablespoon almond butter, 1 boiled egg, deli turkey, or 1 tablespoon hummus
- Lettuce turkey wrap. Sliced deli turkey wrapped in butter lettuce.
Want to lose weight, get healthy, and transform your life? Sign up for my newsletter and get weekly tips, tricks, and support from me!