Winter is here and for a lot of us that can mean extra dry skin! If you are like me, you want radiant, glowing, youthful skin......and good nutrition plays an important role!
Studies show that certain foods have the power to nourish and hydrate skin from the inside out. By changing up our diet in the winter to focus on these hydrating foods, we not only achieve a healthy glow, but also reap the benefits of boosted immunity and energy levels. So what are these magical foods to keep our skin glowing and fresh?
- Avocados: loaded with Vitamin C, E, and monounsaturated fats, avocados help our skin lock in moisture and increase blood circulation. The folic acid in avocados also improves the skin’s appearance.
- Orange fruits + veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, red peppers, pumpkin, papaya, mangos): vegetables and fruit of the orange/yellow variety are packed with beta-carotene, an antioxidant known for fighting dry skin and protecting it from sun damage. Many of these fruits and vegetables also have Vitamin C and A which repair body tissue and produce collagen.
- Fish and Fish Oil: Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, the nutrients from fish and fish oil not only protect the heart, but can improve skin color and radiance, reduce the redness caused by rosacea, protect against the sun’s damaging rays and boost hair quality.
- Spinach: rich in iron, omega-4 fatty acids, and vitamins A/B/E. All of these are a great source to protect skin and improve the immune system while also providing hydrating qualities too.
- Nuts + seeds: with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A/B/E, monounsaturated fats, and a load of antioxidants, nuts and seeds are a surefire way to hydrate our skin. All of these elements promote the skin’s elasticity and help regenerate cells, which in turn fight against pollutants and free radicals.
- And of course……. Drink lots of water! Drinking 8-10 glasses of water and tea per day can help flush out toxins, prevent the skin from drying, increase cell turnover and keep you skin looking hydrated and fresh. Herbal teas are a great way to stay hydrated or you can choose a green tea variety to help reduce inflammation for extra beautification.