Vietnamese Salad I know it is hard to get too excited about a bowl of greens but trust me, this is a SEXY SALAD! It brings me right back to basking in the hot sun on a lazy day on my honeymoon in Vietnam!
The combination of sweet, salty and spicy flavors combined with fresh herbs and crunchy veggies make this salad a divine treat.
I got this recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow on Goop.com, one of my favorite websites. Click here for a cute video of Gwyneth preparing this awesome salad! Or read below for recipe.
For the Salad:
- 4 large bok choy leaves, rough bottoms discarded, stems cut into ¼" bias and leaves shredded
- 4 big leaves Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch watercress (discard thick stems), roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- the leaves from about 8 stems each basil, mint, cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 red Thai chili, thinly sliced (I could only find a green thai chili, but it worked great)
- ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion or shallot (I don't love raw onions or shallots so I went very light here)