Now that Fall is officially here, I’m excited to be enjoying all the delicious foods this season provides. One of my favorite fall vegetables is butternut squash — they are wonderful roasted, stuffed, sautéed, and pureed in a soup. Did you know that incorporating sweet veggies such as butternut squash can help reduce your sugar cravings?
This recipe is simple, but the flavors of the squash and coconut milk compliment each other so well that it doesn’t take much work to create this healthy and delicious soup!
- 1 butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and chopped into pieces (frozen works well)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons curry
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
Peel and chop the squash. Heat up the coconut oil on high in a large soup pot. Add in the onions and sauté about 6 minutes, until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the curry powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add in the broth, squash and salt. Bring to a boil then turn heat down and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the squash is soft. Using either an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the soup until all of the squash is pureed. Add in the coconut milk amd honey and stir. Taste and add in salt and pepper to your liking.