Inspired by Oh She Glows
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 1 large red potato, cut into cubes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves or diced zucchini
- Steamed whole wheat couscous, for serving
- Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish
- 1 tbls plain greek yogurt, for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a 3-4 quart dutch oven with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. When oil simmers, add onion, garlic, and cinnamon, and season with freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook on medium low heat, until onions are soft and translucent. Be careful not to use too high of heat or the garlic will burn.
2. Add squash and potatoes, season with ground pepper, and cook until just tender, about 10 mins. Add broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, and their juices, spinach leaves or zucchini. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 mins.
3. Serve the stew over whole wheat couscous and don't forget to garnish with toasted almond and yogurt.