If you invite me to your Memorial Day BBQ, here is what I am bringing!
This beautiful salad features farrow, snap peas, asparagus and blueberries! It is a great vegan side dish for every Memorial Day, Father’s Day, July 4th, and “just because” BBQ this summer. Cheers to your amazing BBQ. Enjoy the food, fun, friends and family.
FOR THE SALAD:
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup farro
- 1⁄4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (my family does not love asparagus, so I use a few spears)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 2 cups of mixed greens
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus a drizzle for the farro
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar, plus a splash for the farro
- sprinkles of himalayan salt & pepper
Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil. Add farro, cover and simmer for 20–25 minutes, until the grains are tender.
Bring another large pot of salted water to boil for blanching the snap peas and asparagus. Create an ice bath in a large bowl to shock the veggies. Blanch snap peas and asparagus for 1 to 2 minutes, until just tender but still crisp. Remove the veggies from the pot with a slotted spoon and plunge them into the ice bath. Drain and set aside on a paper towel. (so easy and worth the extra step.)
Combine the lemon and olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the cooked farro with a splash of white wine vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat so that grains are dressed and seasoned.
Combine the snap peas, asparagus, and radish in a bowl and dress lightly with the lemon dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the salad greens, blueberries and torn herbs
On a platter or shallow bowl, mound the farro and top with salad mixture. Season with salt and pepper if needed.